2013 MiGO Fall Fun Day
Fall Fun Day is going to be at Yankee Springs Recreational Area located in Barry County, Michigan on October 19, 2013. This will be a great event for the WHOLE family! Plan on spending at least the day, if not the whole weekend!
YANKEE SPRINGS RECREATION AREA
Yankee Springs Recreation Area was once the hunting grounds of the Algonquin Indians and the famous Chieftain, Chief Noonday. The site was established in 1835 and the village was made famous by Yankee Bill Lewis who owned and operated a hotel along the stagecoach run from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids. The rugged terrain, the bogs and marshes, the lakes and streams, and the unique beauty of the park's 5,200 acres lend itself to many forms of recreation.
A modern campground is located on the shores of beautiful Gun Lake while rustic camping is available at Deep Lake. An equestrian campground and a youth organization campground also are available. Nine lakes are located within the park boundaries providing excellent fishing and water sports of all kinds.
As a year-round park, cross-county skiing on its more than 10 acres of Nordic ski trails, snowmobiling, snowshoeing and ice fishing are all popular winter activities. Three special points of interest in the park are: Devil's Soupbowl, a glacially carved kettle formation, Graves Hill Overlook and The Pines, accessible from the extensive trail systems.
Favorite fairweather activities include 30 miles of hiking trails, 12 miles of challenging mountain bike trails, 9 miles of horseback trails, as well as two public beaches, picnic shelters, and two universally accessible fishing piers one at Gun Lake and one at Deep Lake.
A RECREATION PASSPORT IS REQUIRED.
Saturday October 19, 2013
- Start at 11:30 AM and end at 5:00 PM.
- 11:30 AM Registration opens
- 12:00 PM Food will be served
- 12:30 PM New caches will be distributed
- 4:15 PM Return to Pavilion
- 4:30 PM Prize table prizes to be awarded
- 5:00 PM Festivities officially end
What to Bring:
- Bring chairs. There are picnic tables, but seating will be limited.
- Please consider donating to the prize table! Do you have any unused cache containers, any gift certificates, services you provide, or general caching gear? Anything and everything you donate helps keep the costs down on these events and keeps them running!
- Food for the potluck.
The potluck lunch will begin serving around 12:00pm.
- The meal at the event will be potluck. Hot Dogs will be provided thanks to an awesome donation from the Are You Geocacher Enough Team. We are asking everyone to bring a dish to pass.
- Please remember that this is a family-friendly event. MiGO will also be providing water and the famous MiGO lemonade. You may want to consider bringing your own beverage. If you would like to donate beverages, please post a note or e-mail the Krazy_Kidz.
Food Assignments By Last Name:
K-O: Veggies and dip
P-T: Potato salad or other salad
U-Z: Fruit and dip
Camping is available! Check the DNR link on the right side of the page to make reservations today.
Clicking this link will show all caches nearby, not including your finds. For a list of ALL caches,
WANT TO HELP?
Just email your friendly SW MiGO RVP, Krazy_Kidz!