Some area hotels in no particular order (except the first is the closest) include:
* has a restaurant
- Lincoln Host - 620 N. Lincoln Rd. (right next to fairgrounds), Escanaba (906)789-6000 or (866)814-9601 www.lincolnhost.com
- Bay View Motel - 7110 US 2, 41, & M35, Gladstone (~2 mi. away) (906)786-2843 or for reservations (800)547-1201 www.bayview-motel.com
- Lakeside Motor Inn - 26 Lowrie Ave, Gladstone (~7 mi. away) (906)428-9667 or (800)982-6643 www.lakesidemotorinnmi.com
- Peninsula Bay Inn - 2603 N. Lincoln Rd., Escanaba (~1 mi. away) (906)789-1200 www.peninsulamoose.com
- Super 8 - 2415 N. Lincoln Rd. (~1 mi. away) (906)786-1000 www.super8.com
- Best Western Pioneer Inn* - 2635 Ludington St.(~2 mi. away), Escanaba (906)786-0602 www.bestwesternmichigan.com
- Comfort Suites - 3600 Ludington St. (~2 mi. away), Escanaba (906)786-9630 www.comfortsuites.com
- America's Best Value Inn - 2301 N. Lincoln Rd. (~1 mi. away), Escanaba (906)789-1000 www.americasbestvalueinn.com
- Terrace Bay Inn* - 7146 P Rd. (~3 mi. away), Gladstone (906)786-7554 has rooms with bay views, www.terracebay.com
- House of Ludington* - 223 Ludington (~3 mi. away), Escanaba (906)786-6300 (historic building, supposed to be haunted), houseofludington.com
UP State Fairgrounds
Camping is available on site. We would encourage campers to stay at the UP State Fair Campground so off-hours socializing and other fun will be maximized. Go to www.upstatefair.org/?camping for more information or call (906)786-4011. Many sites have water and electricity. All sites are $20. The UP State Fair Campground is open throughout October.
- Pioneer Trail Park (~3 mi. N of event) and OB Fuller Park (~15 mi S of event), contact email@example.com or call (906)786-1020. These are two county parks with campgrounds and boat launches. Pioneer Trail Park operates into October. OB Fuller may be open thru the beginning of October.
- Gladstone Bay Campground (~8 mi. N of event), a City of Gladstone campground, contact (906)428-1211 May - September or (906)428-9222 October - April. They will be operating through the event weekend.
- Check the Hiawatha National Forest (http://www.fs.usda.gov/hiawatha/) website for dates of operation of nearby Forest Service campgrounds. Dates of operation vary. All sites are on a first come basis. The nearest National Forest campgrounds, Little Bay de Noc Recreation Area and Haymeadow Creek (both approximately 30 mi. from event) are open through October 7.
- The nearest State Parks are Fayette Historic State Park (~50 mi. E of the event) and J.W. Wells State Park (~50 mi. S of the event). Wells has a service building with showers and dump station while Fayette does not, nor does Fayette have a dump station. Go to http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ to find out more.
The pathtag reflects our "Most Extreme Geocacher" theme. One of our planned activities to kick off the event (1-2 pm) will be dodging paintballs to retrieve an ammo can or something from an ammo can. Protective gear will be provided to anyone who wants to volunteer to run the gauntlet, so to speak. Only experienced paintballers will be handling the paintball guns to ensure safety. There will be barricades/obstacles to hide behind so it won't be a turkey shoot either. This should be really fun for participants and spectators alike.